THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Forming universes without walls

So unfortunately for you peasants (I say that lovingly), this blog is going to be about music. Music I listen to. Where we last left off in terms of music I was ranting on about how great Edguy was. Of course they are a band of very select taste. But this next band will appeal if you like screaming, guitar solos, melodicness, and technical stuff.

The band I am talking about is one called Wintersun. It all started with a man named Jari Maenpaa in Finland. He was the frontman for Ensiferum but in a sense he didn't get to write what he wanted. He had to write about vikings and magic and the other guitarist wrote most of the music. So after Ensiferum's album Iron came out, they were about to embark on a tour. But Jari had made the decision to record his own solo stuff and his studio time was during the tour. So Jari left Ensiferum in order to write music that he could call his own. This is how Wintersun was formed.

So far they only have one album out and it was released like 5 years ago. It in my opinion is a masterpiece. It really stands out when it comes to melodic death metal. Theres some folk elements thrown in there along with some symphonic ones. Jari wrote and recorded every instrument but the drums (including the synths). The lyrics are very deep and emotionally moving. The song Beautiful Death was written after he came down with tuberculosis (before Ensiferum) and was in his hospital bed not knowing what would happen. Much of his songs use metaphors that correspond to winter (a beautiful but deadly element), the cosmos, nature, and animals, ect. The cool thing his lyrics are usually about feeling helpless but perservering in the end. Personally my favorite song is Sleeping Stars because its so beautiful and powerful.

Their next album Time has been in the making for 3-4 years now due to problems with technology. Each song will comprise of 200-400 tracks (now you see why he's having tech problems?) and is going to be a concept album. He really want's to make it perfect so he's been slaving over it for years just to make his dream album. I am really excited for it since I know (even though he said it would be a different kind of album) that he will deliver another masterpiece that might even earn the title of being my favorite album of all time. We shall see.

You can listen to them in my music box below. Here's some lyrics for ya:

Divine creations now destroyed
to uncover the haunted atmosphere
Strange visions of the ancient spirits,
travesty of man appears
Coldness and the storming winds
lurking for prey
The forces of the Winter reign
in dreadful way, there's no escape

(Winter Madness)

I'm floating in the sea of stars,
I'm drifting away from the shore
I will be lost in the dream when the dark days come
But I will make the time run backwards and

I'll make the stars shine again
I will light up the sky to a bright crimson nights
... And they'll shine together forever
With brilliant silver colours they'll shine forever
(Starchild)


0 comments: